Ahhh… sweet summertime. School is officially, finally out and our noses are starting to freckle from sunny days and our bellies are full of watermelon and freeze pops. LIFE IS GOOD. Some of the sweetest memories come from warm, summer days- cookouts with family, afternoons on the lake, or late-night stargazing (aaand smore-making).
And would you believe that Summer 2017 can be the best yet without heading to Louisville or Bowling Green? Right here in Elizabethtown, there is PLENTY to do, we promise. Check out just some of the fun things you can do this summer, right here in our little hometown.
Movies Under the Stars
- Pack up your blankets and snacks and head to Freeman Lake Park June 9, July 21, and August 11 for Movies Under the Stars.
- Head west on 62 until you hit the light at Hardinsburg Road. The sweet little town of Cecilia boasts a parade, car show, countless booths, and our speciality- a pie-eating contest the second Saturday of August.
Bowling for free
- Anyone under 17 bowls free at Dix-E-town Lanes! You can bowl 1 free game a day and only pay for shoes.
Market + Brunch
- Nothing speaks to our hearts quite like fresh produce and breakfast food. Stop by the Hardin County Farmer’s Market any Saturday or Wednesday morning this summer and get strawberries, blackberries, local beef, or fresh-baked bread. Afterwards, head to Amazin’ Glazin’ for breakfast for a morning where all of your money is spent locally (and deliciously!)
- Find us front row at the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band concert on June 23!
Beach at Nolin Lake
- Just down the Western Kentucky Parkway is a sandy beach with your name all over it. Lay-out, swim, or fish! Any form of beach in land-locked Kentucky has us completely heart-eyed.
- If you have yet to discover this rare gem in Stephensburg, then we truly apologize. It is the sweetest little old-fashioned food stand you ever did see complete with homemade malts, cheese curds, and the famous Lakerburger.
- 26 acres of hiking and biking makes for the perfect Saturday afternoon. Entrance is also completely free. Which we adore.
The Body Factory
- This has been something on our to-do list for a LONG time! The Body Factory in Radcliff has Pound AND Piyo classes- not the easiest to come by in central Kentucky! For $10, you can take any class as a visitor.
- Or paddleboating! It’s only TWO DOLLARS an hour people. You’re welcome.
- Not into fitness classes or water sports? Hone your inner Joanna Gaines by antiquing and salvage shopping in Glendale, Kentucky. Not only is it absolutely adorable and chock-full of cute antique shops, but it is home to The Whistle Stop. After you’ve expended all that energy shopping, you deserve a plate of fried green tomatoes or chocolate cream pie…right?
- You don’t have to have a pricey pool membership to soak up some poolside rays this summer! Blow up your swan float and head to Colvin Community Center in Radcliff. No membership required!
Facials + Manis
- Did you know Empire Beauty School does facials?! And manicures. And scalp massages. And quite a few services besides haircuts? We fully support a under $20 spa day this summer.
- Nothing quite says summer like fresh strawberries- strawberry ice cream, berry pies and cobblers, and DIY smoothie bowls. Rosenberger Farm is open a few more days for Strawberry picking! 10500 Rineyville Big Springs Road, Rineyville, KY 40162…cash only!
- Perfect for a fun-spirited bachelorette party, an outing with kiddos, or a day date PLUS there is an amazing Groupon right now for nearly half-off paintball fees!
19th Annual Garden Tour and Tea
- Who doesn’t love an excuse to play dress up and support local tourism all at the same time? We never quite did out grow tea parties! $10 will buy you tea and treats and a tour of The Brown-Pusey house gardens as well as members’ private gardens.
- We are kinda obsessed with the square and there is lots to do there this summer! Wicked Eyed Woman just opened an outdoor patio you MUST visit (we ❤️️ alfresco dining). The shops are bustling with cute summer clothes and goods. And Vibe’s breakfast options keep growing and growing- waffles, acai bowls, breakfast sandwiches on weekends, gourmet oil and bread plates, and avocado toast. Or you could just get the tried and true cinnamon roll…no judgement.
Hardin County Fair
- July 10-15, don’t miss concerts, demolition derby, truck pulls, pageants, countless vendors, and of course, fair food.
- This summer, read three books off of New York Times best seller list. Reading is so much better for your brain than Netflixing and is the perfect pool, hammock, or porch-sittin’ activity. We suggest Hillbilly Elegy, The Zoo-Keeper’s Wife, or Hidden Figures.
Whatever you decide to do this summer, play hard and rest well! That’s what longer summer days are for. And show your hometown some summer lovin’ by supporting local business and tourism along the way!